There is not a more demanding or adventuresome journey than a 36-day motorcycle ride from the Cape of Good Hope to the equator. This tour is a biking classic and is being offered once again by Great African Outdoors. This hot ride across Africa requires endurance, fitness, courage, and time. It is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure for men and women with fire in their veins and daring in their souls.
The tour will begin in Cape Town, the most beautiful city in the world. From there we will travel north to Namibia and across the Namib Desert. The name means `dry`, and that is exactly what the rider will encounter - sand and dunes as far as the eye can see. North of Namibia lies the bush and the Etosha National Park, home of the famous Etosha Pan. Further north in the Caprivi Strip the climate and scenery change. This is the most fertile region in Namibia with mighty rivers like the Kwando, the Zambezi, and the Okavango.
The Okavango Delta in adjoining Botswana is the largest inland river delta in the world - an area rich in water, fields and forests. The Chobe National Park in northeast Botswana is home to the world's largest elephant herds. Victoria Falls of Zambia and Zimbabwe are thundering natural spectacle with sprays rising hundreds of feet in the air. An excursion into the South Luangwa National Park will reveal the unique wildlife and vegetation of the area.
Crossing the border into Malawi, Lake Malawi is the third-largest lake in Africa with the richest diversity of fish in the world. The jewel of Tanzania is the Ngorongoro Crater on the edge of the Serengeti, which is home to about 25,000 species of animals. Leaving Tanzania we will arrive at Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa.
Our tour will end in the village of Nanyuki, which is at the base of Mount Kenya and directly on the equator.
- [Leg One] -
- Cape Town - Arrive Cape Town, Hotel Transfer, Dinner.
- Cape Town - Take over of Bikes, explore Cape Town and surroundings, Cape Point.
- Clanwilliam - Via the Winelands ride to the Cederberg Mountains.
- Orange River - Cross Border into Namibia, Explore Orange River Region.
- Fish River Canyon - Explore the 2nd biggst canyon in the World.
- Maltahohe - Ride towards the Namib Desert.
- Solitaire - Visit the Namib Desert.
- Swakopmund - Ride via Kusib Canyon towards Swakopmund.
- Swakopmund - Rest day at Swakopmund.
- Kamanjab - Ride to Damaraland. (Visit Himbas)
- Near Etosha - Arrive late afternoon at Etosha Gate.
- Near Etosha - Game Drive all day.
- Tsintsabis Camp - Ride to Tsintsabis Community Camp.
- Rundu - Arrive at Kavango River.
- Umvuvu Island - Ride the Caprivi Strip and cross into Botswana.
- Umvuvu Island - Ride into Bostwana. Mokoro Trip at Okavango Delta. (optional)
- Kongola - Back to Caprivi Strip.
- Livingstone / Vic Falls - Proceed to Livingstone, Visit Victoria Falls.
- Livingstone / Vic Falls - Evening Sunset Cruise on the Zambesi.
- Lusaka - Proceed to the capital of Zambia.
- Bridge Camp - Half way to Chipata.
- South Luangwa NP - Ride to South Luangwas NP. (best NP in Southern Africa)
- South Luangwa NP - Game Drive in Park.
- Chipata - Proceed to Chipata.
- Senga Bay - Proceed to Lake Malawi.
- Lake Malawi - Proceed to Lake Malawi.
- Mbeya - Cross Border into Tanzania.
- Iringa - Proceed to Iringa.
- Tanga - Ride to Tanga at the Indian Ocean.
- Arusha - Proceed to Arusha, passing the Kilimanjaro.
- Karatu - Proceed to Karatu.
- NgoroNgoro Crater - Visit the Ngorongoro Crater, (Crater Drive optional)
- Arusha - Back to Arusha.
- Nairobi - Cross Border into Kenya, proceed to Nairobi.
- Nanyuki (Equator) - Proceed to Equator. Farewell Dinner.
- Nairobi - Back to Nairobi. Tour ends.
- [Leg Two] - Similar to Leg One, but from Nairobi back to Cape Town.